1 pound frozen spinach, thawed and drained
nutmeg, to taste
pat of butter, softened
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons heavy cream
salt and black pepper, to taste
2 eggs, separated
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 cup soft cheese with garlic and herbs
1. Line a jelly roll pan or long baking dish with parchment paper, then grease it well. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. Mix the spinach, nutmeg, butter, Parmesan cheese, cream, salt and black pepper.
3. Cool for 5 minutes and then beat in the egg yolks.
4. Whisk the egg whites till they form soft peaks and then carefully fold them into the spinach mixture.
5. Spread the mixture into the prepared pan, smoothing evenly. Bake for 12-15 minutes until firm.
6. Turn the spinach out upside down onto a clean dish towel and let it cool in the pan for a half hour.
7. Meanwhile, simmer the bell pepper in 2 tablespoons water in a covered pan till just soft. Drain off any excess water and let the pepper cool.
8. Mix the bell pepper with the soft cheese and season to taste.
9. When the spinach block is cool, peel off the paper and trim any hard edges. Spread the red pepper cream over it.
10. Very carefully roll up the spinach and pepper mixture in the dish towel. Leave it to firm up.
11. Serve the roll cut into thick slices.