Walnut and Raspberry Meringue
3 egg whites
few drops of fresh lemon juice
1 cup superfine sugar
3/4 cups walnuts, finely chopped
3/4 cup heavy cream
few drops vanilla extract
confectioner’s sugar, to taste
1 pound fresh raspberries
1. Preheat the oven to 325F.
2. Draw three 8-inch circles on non-stick parchment paper. Place the circles on baking sheets.
3. Whisk the egg whites in a spotlessly clean and grease-free bowl with the few drops of lemon juice. This gives a more stable foam.
4. When the whites are softly stiff, gradually whisk in the sugar until thick and glossy. Quickly and carefully fold in the nuts.
5. Spread or pipe the mixture onto the three paper circles.
6. Bake for 40-50 minutes, until firm and crisp on top. This may have to be done in batches.
7. Cool on a wire rack and peel off the paper. Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
8. Whip the heavy cream with the vanilla and sugar until the mixture is quite stiff.
9. Reserving a few raspberries for decoration, crush the rest and mix into the cream mixture.
10. Spread the fruit cream on the 3 meringues. Sandwich them together and decorate the top layer with the reserved raspberries.