Spanish Potato and Garlic Soup with Easy Garlic Broth
A few weeks ago I started my first REAL grown up job. It was a strange week. The job part was amazing. It confirmed to me that I am in the right profession; I didn’t make a mistake choosing to be an archivist. However a lot of negative stuff happened last week. My coffeemaker broke (don’t worry, I have a new already of course), my bike was stolen, my computer was acting up and a friend’s car was broken into at our apartment complex. All in the same week. VERY weird right? As I was thinking about it today I realized that the confluence of this one major positive thing and all these other negative ones solidified in me this understanding that I really am an adult now (it only took almost 30 years! Haha!), as far as having a job and a certain sense of responsibility and character, etc. It was an empowering thought, which is a pretty nice thing to come from a week overall. Anyway, I was looking for a simple recipe one night last week for dinner. This recipe in the “Moosewood Restaurant Low-fat Favorites Cookbook” seemed to fit the bill. The ingredient list was simple and I’ve never had a garlic broth before. The garlic broth recipe seemed a little unnecessary to me. It called for blending, and I am not a huge fan of cleaning the blender. But the concept was one that didn’t NEED a blender. So I altered the recipe to what you see below. Less dishes, more fun. Enjoy this soup. After all, it’s winter!
Easy Garlic Broth
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 bulb (20 cloves) garlic, minced
3 cups miso (or chicken broth)
3 cups vegetable broth
1. Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot and sauté the garlic till browned. Add the miso and vegetable and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer 10 minutes to incorporate flavors well.
2. Store for later use, or set to the side for the soup below.
Spanish Potato and Garlic Soup
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 large potatoes, diced
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 recipe (6 cups) Easy Garlic Broth
1. In a large soup pot saute the onions and potatoes in the olive oil with the paprika 5 minutes or till the onion is tender.
2. Add the diced tomatoes and thyme. Stir well. Cook on medium 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the Easy Garlic Broth, stir well, then cover and simmer 15-20 minutes till potatoes are tender.
4. Serve hot with crusty bread for dipping.