Eastern European Red Lentil Soup
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 large red onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1½ cups red lentils
2 Tbs. ground cumin
2 15-oz. can chopped tomatoes with liquid
1 Tbs. honey
3 bay leaves
6 cups vegetable broth or water
1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
½ cup plain low-fat yogurt
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 5 minutes, or until soft.
2. Stir in red lentils and cumin, and cook 1 minute, or until cumin is fragrant and lentils are coated with oil.
3. Stir in tomatoes with liquid, honey, bay leaves, and 7 cups vegetable broth.
4. Season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
5. Cover pan, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until lentils are soft and falling apart, and soup is thick.
6. Add a little water to thin soup, if necessary.
7. Remove bay leaves, stir in vinegar, and serve with dollops of yogurt.