Cuban Black Bean and Potato Soup
1 medium onion, diced (1 ½ cups)
1 small red bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
1 small green bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
6 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
6 cups cooked black beans, divided
3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced (2 ½ cups)
2 Tbs. white wine vinegar
1 Tbs. ground cumin
1 Tbs. fresh oregano leaves
1 bay leaf
½ tsp. salt
Diced red onion and green bell pepper (optional garnish)
1. Sauté onion, bell peppers, and garlic in saucepan with a little water or vegetable broth over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes, or until vegetables soften.
2. Turn off the heat, add 3 cups beans and 6-7 cups water or vegetable broth.
3. Mash with a potato masher until mixture is consistency you prefer.
4. Return mixture to the soup pot, and add remaining beans, potatoes, vinegar, cumin, oregano, bay leaf, and salt.
5. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, 20 minutes, or until potatoes are soft.
6. Remove bay leaf. Garnish each serving with diced red onion and green bell pepper.