This is the most crumbly, amazing, golden-brown crust ever!
I fell in love with this recipe from the “Moosewood Restaurant Low-fat Cookbook” as soon as I saw it. There are only a few ingredients and it is pretty easy and fast to make. The original recipe had you making the polenta yourself. But sometimes I don’t have a ton of time to make dinner. So I shaved some time off this recipe by using ready-made polenta instead of making it myself. I had a bit of fun choosing the type of polenta I wanted to use for this recipe. Besides the normal polenta, the grocery store also had some with Italian herbs (which I ended up using) and sun-dried tomatoes. I added some breadcrumbs to the recipe as well. Any bread crumbs would do, but I happened to have some Italian breadcrumbs which went perfectly with my Italian herb polenta. Jackpot! This pie didn’t hold together too well, as you can see from the photo below, but it doesn’t really matter because it tastes like a dream! Next time I may bake the polenta a bit on its own before adding the filling, just to see if it holds better. You could use different veggies for this. I plan on making it for Jake another time replacing the mushrooms with something else like maybe tomatoes or sautéed shredded potatoes.
Mushroom Polenta Pie
1 package ready-made polenta
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
3 cups mushrooms, thinly sliced
4 cups spinach or Swiss chard, stemmed and chopped
dash salt and black pepper
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet and sauté the onions and garlic till tender.
2. Add the mushrooms and cook 5 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 400F.
4. Add the spinach or Swiss chard, salt and pepper. Sauté till leaves are wilted. Turn off heat.
5. Lightly oil a 9-inch pie pan. Crumble the pre-made polenta into the pan and press it firmly onto the bottom and sides with your hands or a wooden spoon.
6. Spread the vegetable mixture evenly in the pie pan.
7. Sprinkle the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese over the top of the vegetable mixture.
8. Bake in the oven 20-25 minutes, till sizzling hot and golden brown on top.
9. Remove from the oven and let the pie sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Mushroom Polenta Pie