Crusted Onion Basmati Rice
for the Spice Mixture:
3 Tbs. vegetable oil
½ cup hot water
1 tsp. turmeric
2 Tbs. coriander seeds
for the Rice:
2 cups uncooked basmati rice
6 cups cold water
1 Tbs. sea salt
1 large sweet onion such as Vidalia or Maui, cut crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices
1. To make Spice Mixture: Combine all ingredients, and set aside.
2. To make Rice: Put rice, water and salt in large saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook uncovered for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain rice; rinse with cold water.
3. Heat saucepan over medium-high heat, and immediately spread 1/4 cup rice in pan and top with onion slices. Pour half of spice mixture over onions, and cook 3 minutes.
4. Add remaining rice, and add reserved spice mixture, pouring over top of rice. DO NOT STIR!
5. Cover, and cook 4 minutes.
6. Reduce heat to low, and cook 20 minutes, undisturbed.
7. Scoop out rice from bottom, and place in serving dish with crust on top.