This recipe from “PETA’s Vegan College Cookbook” isn’t asparagus-baking rocket science, but it’s still a keeper. I had never baked walnuts and asparagus together, which now shames me, as it was absolutely amazing. I actually don’t think I’ve ever baked walnuts at all before this. SO odd. Even the places that got a little scorched were tasty and crunchy. I just loved it! It’s one of my new favorite things! Just take a look at the picture below and those yummy little spears of asparagus spread willingly with chopped walnuts, hopes and dreams. The recipe from the cookbook had you snapping the asparagus spears into pieces and microwaving them. YUCK. What you see below is how you REALLY make asparagus and make it well.
Baked Asparagus Spears
1/2 pound fresh asparagus, woody ends snapped off
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
4 tablespoons olive oil
salt and black pepper, to taste
chopped walnuts, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 450F.
2. Spread the asparagus evenly across a baking sheet.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
4. Sprinkle the asparagus with the chopped walnuts.
5. Pour the mixture over the asparagus as evenly as possible.
6. Bake the asparagus spears 10-15 minutes or till cooked through and soft (a little bit of overcooked crunch never hurt anyone).