The words “easy” and “mushroom” were enough to convince me to make this Easy Mushroom Paprikash when Jake was in Flagstaff for a weekend. Though this was definitely easy, it is definitely NOT my favorite way to use mushrooms. I will not be making it again. I ate it, as suggested, over some egg noodles and it really tasted pretty awful. I would put different spices in it next time in order to make it better. I should’ve known better, as I’ve made recipes heavy on paprika and without any other spices before and also didn’t like them. Damn. I’m glad I tried this at least. Maybe you all can make it and it’ll turn out better for you.
Easy Mushroom Paprikash
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cups sliced mushrooms
1 medium bell pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
½ cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 15-oz. can crushed tomatoes
¼ cup low-fat sour cream
1. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, and cook 7 minutes.
2. Stir in the bell pepper and onion.
3. Reduce heat to medium and sauté 5 minutes, or till onion is translucent.
4. Add wine, and cook 2 minutes.
5. Stir in flour and paprika.
6. Add tomatoes and 1/2 cup water, and cook 3 minutes, or until sauce has thickened.
7. Stir the sour cream into warm (not hot) paprikash mixture just before serving.