And we’re back to our regular posting schedule! You know how I really adore the “La Dolce Vegan” cookbook. It’s definitely one of the top ones I own, and that’s where this recipe comes from. I love red lentils a lot and I’m always looking for a good reason to use a butternut squash, so this recipe just about had me dancing a jig in the kitchen. It was really lovely and Jake and I decided it would make its way into our regular rotation.
Jen’s Ginger Butternut Lentil Soup
1 small onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon ginger powder
2 cups butternut squash, cubed
2 cups vegetable broth
1 14-15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup red lentils
salt and black pepper, to taste
1. In a medium soup pot on medium heat, saute the onions till tender.
2. Toss in the butternut squash, a sprinkle of salt and the ginger powder and stir well to combine. Cook 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, lentils and any more salt and pepper.
4. Stir well and simmer 20 minutes or till squash is tender.
5. Turn off the heat and, using a potato masher, mash the soup till it reaches your favorite consistency.
6. Turn the heat back on to low till it is reheated and serve.