Let’s be honest about life here. You really can’t go wrong with lasagna. No one is going to tell you: “Oh please don’t feed me MAGIC LAYERED WITH NOODLES.” Okay, so that may be an exaggeration. Not everyone likes lasagna. But we love it and we never make it as often as we should. I tweaked this recipe from the cookbook “How it All Vegan” so you have fewer dishes to wash. Well, maybe not fewer dishes, but by not using a blender you save having to scrub all its hard-to-reach blendery bits. This recipe is vegan, but you can easily add meat or regular milk and cheese to the recipe if you’re not vegan. Try this with the tofu though. You’ve often heard me extol the virtues of tofu as a substitute for cheese in some cases. It cuts the fat content for those of you who are concerned about that, and ups the protein a bit. I know a lot of people have concerns about tofu, but if you take it with an “everything in moderation” attitude then you shouldn’t have to worry. Pull this recipe out of your recipe box when vegan friends come to visit and impress them with how diet-savvy you are!
Classic Spinach Lasagna
1 pound firm tofu, drained and squelched
1/4 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3 teaspoons dried basil
salt, to taste
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2-3 tablespoons garlic powder
1 small onion, chopped
2 cups spinach, chopped
4-6 cups tomato sauce
cooked lasagna noodles
1/2 cup shredded cheese (soy or real), optional
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the squelched tofu, soy milk, oregano, basil, salt, lemon juice, garlic powder, onion and spinach. Mix really well.
3. Cover the bottom of the pan with a drizzle of olive oil and a layer of tomato sauce. Put down a layer of noodles.
4. Spoon and spread half of the tofu and spinach mixture over the noodles. Spread a layer of tomato sauce over that. Then a layer of noodles and then another layer of the tofu and spinach mixture.
5. Lay down the final layer of noodles and then drizzle the top with a bit of tomato sauce and cheese, if using.
6. Bake for 30-45 minutes or till golden brown on top.
7. Remove from the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.