The other day I asked Jake if there was anything he wanted me to do on my day off. He said: “Make me some muffins and bring them to me at work!” He was kidding, but I decided to do it anyway. He was pleasantly surprised and his coworkers were happy that I brought extra muffins for them as well. I chose this recipe from “The Garden of Vegan” cookbook mainly because I already had all of the ingredients on hand in my house. This recipe is another great example of that fabulous vegan trick of subbing applesauce for eggs as a binding agent in baking. There’s really not a single reason to use eggs in this recipe. The addition of applesauce adds moisture and flavor to this cupcake. No wonder they’re called Coffee Break Muffins–they’d go really great with a cup of coffee or tea. Make these easy goodies for your next weekend brunch.
Coffee Break Muffins
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup Earth Balance butter
1/2 cup raw sugar
3 tablespoons applesauce
3/4 cup soy milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar mix
1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and raw sugar using a whisk to mix it well.
3. Using a spoon, stir in the butter, applesauce, soy milk and vanilla till just mixed.
4. Line a muffin tin with papers or grease lightly. Fill muffin tins halfway and sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture on top.
5. Bake 20-25 minutes or till a toothpick in the center comes out clean.