I altered this recipe from my “Vegetarian Cuisine” cookbook a bit. It was originally a microwave recipe, but after trying that I decided microwaving eggplant was really not a great idea. I’d rather roast my eggplant. This was a pretty good recipe, but honestly, my favorite part was the yogurt sauce. Particularly when it’s been tossed with the roasted eggplant and those other spices are added. I will definitely be using the sauce recipe over again for other things like cucumber slices or pita bread. I’ll have to add in the spices that the eggplant was roasting in to the yogurt sauce as well, but the combination at the end was so good I’m sure it’s going to translate really well.
Eggplant Slices in Yogurt
1-2 large eggplants, cut into 1/4-inch thick rounds
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 green chili, seeded and thinly sliced
2/3 cup plain yogurt
1/4 teaspoon coriander
paprika, to taste
4 tablespoons parsley
1. Lay out the eggplant slices on a cutting board covered in paper towels and salt well. Let the eggplant sit for 30 minutes. Then lightly squeeze the eggplant slices of their moisture using another paper towel or two.
2. Preheat the oven to 350F.
3. In a tiny bowl, mix the olive oil, chili powder, turmeric, garam masala, and green chili.
4. Toss the eggplant in the oil and spice mixture and transfer to a baking dish.
5. Bake about 20 minutes, or till the edges of the eggplant get nice and brown. Turn or toss the slices halfway through cooking.
6. Meanwhile, mix the coriander and some paprika in the yogurt.
7. Once the eggplant is cooked let it cool for 7-10 minutes. Then toss the eggplant slices in the yogurt mixture.
8. You can serve this hot (my favorite) or cold. When dishing it up add an extra sprinkle of paprika and a sprinkle of parsley.