Here’s another good reason to buy “The Garden of Vegan” cookbook. I never was a huge fan of cooked carrots. I tend to like my carrots dipped in Ranch dressing and regrets. This recipe, however, was an absolute dream. I’ll definitely be making it again, and often, which should make Jake happy since carrots are one of his favorite things in the universe. I just have to pause and let my chive plant recover some of its mass. I cut off a bit extra from what the recipe calls for when I made this. I do love chives. A lot. This is another one of those recipes that would work with with many vegetable substitutions and additions. I could see garlic and onions in this dish easily as well as subbing (Or adding! Do we dare?!) broccoli or cauliflower. Yum! I’m excited to make this again already!
Baby Carrots in Dill-Chive Sauce
1 pound baby carrots
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon flour
2/3 cup soy milk
1 1/2 tablespoons dill, minced
1 tablespoon chives, minced
salt, to taste
1. Dump the carrots into a medium saucepan. Fill halfway with water.
2. Bring the water to a boil and boil the carrots till just tender. Drain and transfer the carrots to a serving dish.
3. Return the saucepan to the stove, reduce heat to low and add the olive oil.
4. Mix the flour into the olive oil till well incorporated.
5. Add the soy milk and stir till thickened.
6. Stir in the dill, chives and salt and turn off the heat.
7. Let the pan sit for about a minute and then pour the sauce over the carrots. Serve HOT.