I love this recipe from “1000 Vegetarian Recipes from Around the World”. Potatoes are a huge favorite with us and it’s always fun to try a new way to gobble them up. These were really good, but a bit sweet for me. I was quite happy with a few potatoes for my side dish. However when I went back into the kitchen to put the leftover potatoes into a tupperware for the next day I saw something very interesting. Jake had been stealthily sneaking potatoes from the skillet bit by bit until they were ALL GONE. He was very very full and happy. Which makes me happy too, though I was surprised that he liked these so much since he’s more of a salty guy than a sweets guy. So for those of you out there wondering, these are 100% Jake-tested and approved.
Caramelized New Potatoes
1 1/2 pounds new potatoes, well scrubbed
4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
5 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 tablespoon parsley or cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
orange zest curls, to garnish
1. Boil the new potatoes for 10 minutes in a large pot of water. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, melt the brown sugar and butter together in a medium pan, stirring constantly to prevent sticking and burning.
3. Add in the orange juice and cilantro and cook a few minutes more before adding in the potatoes.
4. Cook, stirring and turning the potatoes constantly, till the liquid caramelizes and coats the potatoes.
5. Season with salt and pepper and orange zest curls and serve hot.