I’ve been eyeing this recipe in the “Vegetarian Planet” cookbook for a bit now. When my old roommate and new vegan Adam was in town and came over for dinner I had the perfect chance to test the recipe. This really was a pretty fast and easy recipe and the burgers themselves grilled up quite lovely (as you can see in the photo) and stayed together really well through grilling. I was actually rather surprised they grilled so well. This recipe was an all-around success. Even Jake tried a bit of my veggie burger and said it was pretty good, which is definitely a compliment coming from a man who loves his hamburger as much as Jake does. I am surprised that I really have no serious notes on this burger, other than that I think grilling this veggie burger is the absolute best cooking option for it. I loved the bit of char Jake managed to get on this thing with his Grillmaster magic. I think it was a big part of what made this burger so delicious…the ingredients in this were really perfect for a bit of grill char.
4 slices toasted bread, whirled into crumbs
1/2 cup almonds, chopped fine
1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 small onion, diced
1 cup celery, chopped
3/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 tablespoons rolled oats
salt and black pepper, to taste
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, more as needed
1. Place the bread crumbs into a large bowl and set aside.
2. Toast the almonds and coriander in a dry skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly till the almonds are lightly toasted.
3. Place the toasted almond into the bread crumb bowl.
4. Add the cloves to the bowl.
5. Add the chopped veggies to the bread crumb bowl.
6. Mash the black beans most of the way and add them to the bowl.
7. Add the oats, salt, and pepper to the bowl and mix well. If the mixture is too dry add water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
8. Flour your hands well and form the mixture into patties. You should be able to get about 6 from this, depending on what size you make them.
9. Brush your grill with the olive oil (use more if needed) and grill the burgers till brown and glorious.
10. Serve on a thick bun, or maybe an onion bagel, with your favorite burger toppings.