I made this recipe from the “La Dolce Vegan” cookbook before leaving Tucson. Once again, we spent a significant amount of time those last 2 months packing, using up food and figuring stuff out. This was quite tasty. I am a huge fan of both lentils (particularly red lentils) and quinoa so having them both in the same dish was absolutely heavenly. This stew has weaseled its way into our permanent rotation. Most stews and soups do unless they’re god awful. We are really big soup people, Jake and I. Now that we’re living in Fairbanks we’re going to need all the warm soupy recipes we can find! It’s going to get way chilly here in the winter time.
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 small carrots, diced
3 cups vegetable stock
3/4 cup dry red lentils
1/4 cup quinoa
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
salt and black pepper, to taste
1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup cilantro, minced
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1. Saute the onion and garlic till translucent in a medium soup pot on medium-high heat.
2. Add the celery and carrots and sauté another 5 minutes.
3. Add the red lentils, quinoa, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well and let it cook 3 minutes.
4. Add vegetable broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat. Simmer 20-25 minutes.
5. Add the cilantro and apple cider vinegar and cook 3 minutes more.
6. Turn off the heat and serve immediately.