This recipe for Spiced Lentils with Spinach from the “1000 Vegetarian Recipes from Around the World” cookbook was so tasty! I’ve added it into my regular rotation of delicious foodstuffs. It may even be one of those dishes that tastes even BETTER as leftovers than it does fresh. There are not many foods you can say that about. Maybe Kraft macaroni and cheese, which I maintain is better as leftovers than fresh. This would work well as a little side dish but keep in mind that it’s actually kind of heavy…lentils can be heavy in the tummy if you eat a lot of them (at least they are to me). So I suggest pairing this with something else that’s really light. This may not be the thing to go alongside a steak, but with the ginger and citrus components I think it would go really well with a chicken breast. I also know a lot of people like to eat grain bowls for breakfast and lunch and this is definitely a good option for that. I’ve been meaning to get into that myself, so you may see a lot of grain bowls on here in the future. While you’re waiting, try this recipe and get your fiber for the day!
Spiced Lentils with Spinach
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, diced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground ginger
generous 1 cup green lentils
about 2 1/2 cups veggie broth
1/4 pound spinach
1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves, chopped fine
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped fine
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped fine
lemon juice, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat till translucent.
2. Add the cumin and ginger and fry 2 minutes more.
3. Add the green lentils and veggie broth to the skillet till the veggie broth covers the lentils by 1 inch. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer for 20-30 minutes or till lentils are tender. Watch to make sure your lentils don’t get mushy!
4. If the broth has boiled away, add a bit more. Then add the spinach, mint leaves, cilantro, and parsley.
5. Season with the lemon juice, salt and pepper to your liking and serve.