Slow Cooker Cabbage and Potato Soup with Caraway
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 small onions, sliced
6 garlic cloves, halved
3 cups shredded green cabbage
4 potatoes, unpeeled and diced
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
salt, to taste
5 cups of water
1 cup soy milk (optional)
1. Pour the olive oil into a crockpot set on high. Add the garlic and onions and let it sit, stirring occasionally, for an hour or till just tender. Alternatively, to expedite this process, sauté the onions and garlic in the olive oil in a skillet and add them to the crockpot when just turning tender.
2. Add the cabbage and a small sprinkle of salt and let the cabbage sweat out some juices for about 30 minutes (this, coincidentally, gives you plenty of time to dice the potatoes).
3. Add the caraway seeds to the crockpot, and the potatoes. Sprinkle another bit of salt. Add the water. Let this sit on high for 30 minutes then switch to low.
4. Let the crockpot sit on low till the cabbage and potatoes are tender and falling apart. Somewhere around 4-6 hours. Add more water to the crockpot as needed.
5. Before serving, use a potato masher (or a blender) and mash up the soup to a desired consistency. You may add the soy milk (or regular milk) at this point if you want the soup to be even more creamy.