We loved this recipe from the “Vegetarian Planet” cookbook. It was a great side dish to some teriyaki tofu (me) and teriyaki chicken (Jake). Shocking confession: I realized when I started dinner that I had run out of white rice! So I used brown and it was still yummy. I highly recommend it. However if you do this, remember brown rice’s longer cooking time and adjust the rest of your cooking work accordingly. I even heated up some leftovers the next morning and ate a fried egg over the top for breakfast…yum!
Indian Spiced Rice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon ginger powder
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin or cumin seeds
1 1/4 cups uncooked Jasmine rice or brown rice
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dried lentils
3 cups water
1 russet potato, peeled and cubed
1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 cup peas
3 tablespoons raisins
1 tablespoon butter
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil, add the onions and cook till softened.
2. Add the garlic, ginger, coriander, cardamom, nutmeg, and cumin. Cook 3 minutes, stirring.
3. Add the rice and sauté 2 minutes, stirring. Add the salt and lentils, then the 3 cups water. Add the potato and put a lid on the saucepan.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil then turn the heat to the lowest setting. After 10 minutes, add the bell pepper, peas, and raisins.
5. Stir well, then cover the rice again. Cook 10 minutes or till the rice, potatoes, and lentils are tender.
6. Stir in the butter and serve.