Not a great picture, but you get the idea of this fruity dessert. This recipe from the “The 15-Minute Gourmet Vegetarian” was really yummy and reminiscent of peach cobbler (according to Jake’s brother’s girlfriend, Jenny). I love chutney and this was really nice, so I recommend that you use ALL of the chutney, not just a bit of it. Technically you don’t have to use the entire recipe. You can just just a couple tablespoons on top…but who wants to live that way? You can serve this with ice cream if you’d like, and maybe a sprinkle of granola if you want that bit of crunch. I really liked this stuff. It was just sweet enough to satisfy that dessert need, but not too sweet to make me regret my life later.
Baked Peaches with Chutney Dressing
2 peaches, peeled, pitted and halved
Mixed fruit chutney
for the Mixed Fruit Chutney:
8 dried apricot halves, chopped
1/2 apple, peeled and diced
1/4 cup raisins
1 tablespoon lemon peel
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
dash of black pepper
2 pears, cored, peeled, and diced
- To make the chutney, combine all of the ingredients but the pears in a medium saucepan.
- Cover and cook chutney over medium heat till the liquid boils.
- Reduce the heat and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add the pears, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, till all fruits are tender. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Arrange the peach halves, cut sides up, in a 9×13 baking dish with a dash of olive oil.
- Pour the chutney evenly over all peach halves.
- Bake 10 minutes, or till peaches are tender and chutney is warm.